• Tariff plans with misleading titles are not permitted.
• The service provider should inform the customer within a week of activation of service
tariff plan and should also convey any changes to any
item of tariff.
• The service provider cannot increase tariff on any item within 6 months of enrolment
in a tariff plan.
• The customer is free to move from one tariff plan to another without paying any fee
• Tariff plans with life time validity to be available during the current licence period
and also during the
renewed licence period.
• In all types of lifetime tariff plans, the service provider must inform the subscriber
the month and year of
expiry of the current licence.
• Hike in any tariff item is prohibited in tariff plans with prescribed period of validity
of more than 6
months including lifetime validity or unlimited validity
involving upfront payment.
• Service Provider’s websites must contain comparison of tariff plans in terms
of estimated monthly bill.
• Even if the talk time value has exhausted, the pre-paid customers should get all
services, which do not
affect “talk time value”, like incoming
calls/SMS etc during the entire validity period.
• Prepaid customer’s unused balance are to be carried forward if recharged during
the grace period
specified for the purpose.
• The service provider shall intimate a postpaid customer (1) in advance about his
credit limit and (2)
whenever he reaches 80% of the credit limit. Services
shall not be disconnected as long as the amount
due is below the amount of his security deposit or specified
credit limit whichever is higher.
• Postpaid customers should be given, on request, detailed bill for STD/ISD calls free
• Fixed line customers should be given rental rebate for faults pending beyond 3 days.
• Security deposits are to be refunded after adjustment of dues within 60 days, failing
which interest has to
be paid @10% per annum for the delay.
• Pre-paid customers can be charged for roaming, only if one chooses to make or receive
a call while
roaming and customers should be informed about this
through SMS whenever one roams into another
• No chargeable value added service shall be provided to a customer without his explicit
• All communication/advertisements relating to premium rate services e.g. ring tones,
quiz etc. should have the pulse rate/tariff for the
• Service Providers have appointed Nodal Officers in different service areas to deal
• Individual consumers can approach Consumer Redressal Forum for redressal of their
• Group of consumers can approach Telecom Disputes Settlement Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT)
adjudication of any disputes with the Service